The Southern Nevada Water Authority’s Research and Development team participates in dozens of studies exploring a wide range of topics.
The team’s goal is to improve the quality of Southern Nevada’s drinking water by:
- Investigating novel treatment technologies
- Enhancing regulatory compliance
- Understanding the occurrence, fate, transport, formation and health effects of emerging contaminants (trace amounts of pharmaceuticals, soaps, cosmetics, fragrances, etc. that find their way into the water supply)
The Water Authority looks beyond regulations to improve water quality and enhance the protection of customers from waterborne illness. From comprehensive water quality testing programs to innovative projects designed to explore health effects and new treatment technologies, SNWA is committed to improving both water quality and water-treatment methods.
The R&D Team has helped develop patented technology and undertaken a large number of external research grants, solidifying SNWA’s international reputation as a leader in leading-edge research.
SNWA’s researchers have published peer-reviewed manuscripts and presented research data as invited speakers around the globe.
SNWA has garnered research grants from major foundations and public agencies including:
- Water Research Foundation
- WateReuse Research Foundation
- Water Environment Research Foundation
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Our multidisciplinary team is made up of chemists, civil and environmental engineers, biologists, post-doctoral researchers, undergraduate and graduate interns, and administrative staff.